Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Multi-genre book reviews: What I've been reading recently

Hi everyone! I thought I 'd drop in, see how everyone's doing, and update you on my reading! 

Since my last post in September (yikes, I can't believe it's December already!), I've finished a few books, many of which I posted about over the summer, including:

Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock 

  • I generally liked it
  • The motivations of a teenage killer are pretty enjoyable and relevant to today
  • Funny moments throughout
  • Extremely popular among my friends
  • 4 stars 
Belle Epoque 

  • Really enjoyable since it combines two of my passions, France and historical fiction
  • Maude's love of photography is extremely genuine
  • Interesting situations and plot, very creative
  • 4 stars 

The Geography Club 

  • Too undemanding in my opinion, though an interesting film adaptation is coming out soon
  • Juvenile writing
  • Good representation of GSRM, but otherwise flat plot
  • 2 stars
I Am the Messenger 

  • Extremely realistic portrayal of characters
  • Fascinating plot that falls flat in some parts, but picks itself up accordingly
  • Mystery is under-developed for sake of relationship drama (friends, family, romantic) but fits the story well, nonetheless
  • Great message, feel-good story
  • 4 stars

So Yesterday 

  • Lacking coherent plot, unnaturally-written
  • Defeatist ending
  • Extremely disappointing 
  • 1 star

Jellicoe Road 

  • Enjoyable read, especially since a film adaptation is currently shooting
  • Ending really wraps up loose ends
  • Beginning is a little confusing, but the story is understandable enough
  • 5 stars
Still Star-Crossed
  • Believable plot, liked the characters from start to end
  • Not extremely memorable, though I am now sold on Rosaline/Benvolio 
  • 3.5 stars
And now, I've started reading Alan Moore's Watchmen, so look out for a post on that soon! Unitl next time! Feel free to reach out to me on my tumblr on semi-hiatus, http://reasonstoread.tumblr.com/

-S

No comments:

Post a Comment